The spring is a great time to start thinking about remodeling projects for your home. The warmer weather makes it easy to work outdoors on projects like roof maintenance, window work, tree trimming and more.
A deck can be a great addition for the warmer weather. However, building a deck is a major undertaking. Here are some things to consider before adding a deck to your home.
Location: One thing you will want to consider is where your deck will be located. Most houses will have one obvious place where a deck should be built, and those with a choice may want to consider the following factors before making a final decision:
- Size of the lot
- Sun and shade provided in the deck’s location
- The view from the deck
- The proximity of the deck to the house
- The desired privacy
Budget: Before deciding to build a deck, it’s a good idea to set a budget. This will keep you from spending more money than you anticipated on your project. There are many factors that can affect the amount you end up spending on your deck. This includes:
- The size of the deck
- The intricacy of the design
- The materials used
- Extras like built in seating, flowerboxes, etc.
- Whether this will be a DIY job or whether you will have a contractor in to help
Materials: There are a variety of materials you can use when building of your deck. Though wood is most commonly used, there are different types of woods, as well as other materials that can make good choices. These include:
- Weather Resistant Woods: like redwood, cedar and cypress
- Pressure Treated Woods: this is treated lumber that contains wood and preservatives
- Hardwoods: like teak and Brazilian hardwoods
- Composite Decking: this is made of recycled plastic and wood fiber
- Other Alternatives: these include plastic and aluminum with use recycled products
Building Codes and Legal Requirements: When building on your property, you need to make sure that your project will be up to code. Blueprints should be approved by your city or county in advance. Laws may vary according to where you live, so it is a good idea to do research in before doing anything, to find out about building permits, codes and other legal requirements.
As the temperatures start to rise, homeowners may be excited to start on new projects. However, it is important to plan in advance to make sure work goes smoothly and the results are satisfying. If you are building a deck, be sure to think about budget, location, materials and legal requirements before proceeding. Good luck with all your home improvement projects this spring!